News:

Version 1.20 is ready to download

Main Menu

Thinking of incorporating VArranger in my setup

Started by fibcouple, April 12, 2016, 10:58:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fibcouple

I would appreciate if I could run my initial ideas by you learned and experienced people about what I am trying to achieve.

Main reason to look at VArranger is to help with songwriting ideas but would appreciate some feedback on this aspect. Having access to all sort of styles from all the manufacturers sounds like a swell idea.

I am mac guy and need my trusted macbook to have logicx fired up all the time for songwriting. So I am dusting off my 2010 17" macbook and reinstalling osx (El Capitan automatically by apple - no option) and the reinstall windows XP on bootcamp to run varranger. I hope this setup is workable with Varranger.

I guess I would love touchscreen facility

Korg Kronos is my main keyboard but i also have a Motif XS. I guess I can use either of them as sound module. Will have to make that decision. Maybe I can use the buttons on the Yamaha to control the VArranger like play, stop, go to next style, switch the parts on & off??

These are my initial thoughts. Please chip in with advice or comments or if I am doing anything wrong

Best wishes

FibC

Dan

Hello FibC,

You said that you would like to use vArranger to help with songwritings ideas etc... So maybe the live realtime controls are not important for you.

What can be useful, is using the SONG CHORDS to enter a chords grid, selecting a style, selecting some variations, fill in, intro, ending, and then export this as midifile, that you will import on your logic as a basis for your arrangements.

Windows XP is still working for vArranger, but Windows 7 / 10 has WASAPI support if you want to play virtual instruments

You can use the Kronos + Motif

You can use some buttons that sends midi messages from your Yamaha to control things, or your pc keys

Let us know if you have more questions.

Dan

fibcouple

Hi Dan

Many thanks for your reply.  :)

I guess I better use Windows 7 or later for WASAPI. Would you recommend Windows 10?

I feel realtime live controls may be important whilst trying to figure ideas but then exporting the MIDI file when I feel happy. But I have no experience with the software so sort of am talking in generalisations.

Would Motif or another arranger or a midi pad etc be able to send play, stop, next variation, ending etc messages on in VArranger.

Regards

Dan

Yes I am developing vArranger on a Windows 10 computer, and I found it very stable.
Yes, I can see 6 transport button on the Motif XS that can be used to control vArranger

Another option is to add the Korg NanoKontrol 2. It is cheap, compact and has lot of controls with led feedback
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otV1oLeaLRE

fibcouple

Thats great. Would you recommend 64 bit Windows 10 pro? Does that offer any advantage over 32 bit for this purpose. My machine i7 2.66ghz, 8GB.

Thanks for advice re nanokontrol. I guess I could also use my Novation Zero SLII. Perfect! Looking forward to buying the VArranger soon as I am sure the bootcamp/windows work on this macbook.

Regards

Dan

Yes 64 bit, as the 32 bit version will only access 3GB of ram

Yes, vArranger includes a very deep integration of the Novation MKII controllers series, with buttons and led-ring lighting

fibcouple

Great. Installing win10 64bit as we speak.

I would appreciate if there are any videos/resource about if somebody has used a specific workflow for songwriting with VA.

fibcouple

Hi Dan

It finally appears that my mid 2010 macbook wouldnt allow windows 10 although I am pretty sure I had a document yesterday which said it would.

Which lower version would you recommend as I am only doing this installation for VA. thanks

Dan

You can try Windows 7
But there is a lot of video on youtube and other websites on google that explain how to install different windows versions on different macbook versions

fibcouple

Thanks.I will have a look. Guess that will bypass bootcamp assistant but maybe that wont matter. I'll get on that and feed back.

Kind regards

fibcouple

Still stuck on trying to install the windows 10 on macbook. Incredibly frustrating, having read countless info on it and watched videos etc. The usb drive (brand new) or burnt dvd image of win10 just doesnt get recognised when trying to boot with refind - error no boot disk found

Just want to get my hands on VArranger....arghhhh 

Dan

fibcouple

OK success!!

2010 MacBook cant do USB install of windows as its not UEFI... So a burnt DVD (multiple times) of Windows 8.1 did the trick.

Dan, I am just going through the purchase now. Looking forward to get the install going tonite :-)

fibcouple

Hi Dan

Hope you received paypal last night. Awaiting you reply mail to get going.

Cheers

Dan