News:

Version 1.20 is ready to download

Main Menu

WASAPI Error Message - Error_WASAPI_Init:6

Started by lakere, February 21, 2016, 09:44:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lakere

i found out from some posts here that in the Windows audio setting, "Give Exclusive Control" has to be checked to use Wasapi in VA2.   It is ture.  Otherwise, I get Error_WASAPI_Init:6 and no sound.   On my desktop PC (Surface Pro connected to an 28inch) I usually have the setting "Give Exclusive Control" off.   This way, I can play along with Youtube when I play VST plug-ins and whatever.   I tested Live Styler just now and it loads and plays just fine in Wasapi with the "Give Exclusive Control" off.   It would be wonderful if VA2 can do the same.   

Dan

Yes, vArranger asks the exclusive control of the sound card. This is the only way to get bit perfect playback, best sound quality and low latency synth. All pro audio software will do the same

lakere

Oh, OK.    I am managing to use Asio4All without allowing "exclusive control."    VA2 seems to be doing all right.     Just occaionsal and faint crackling noise at 256 samples.   It is not bad considering the fact that my "desktop" Surface Pro is conneted to a USB 3 docking station with a  huge monitor, lots of usb devices, wireless stuff, WIFI, bluetooth, and even my Anroid phone wireless connected to it so that I can take and respond to text messages at the PC.    Obviously this is not the ideal environment for VA2 or any other audio/midi app to run under but VA2 is doing well.   It is pretty handy to have my Microkey 61 always on my work desk with VA2 running and play a tune.   

However, WASAPI seems to work better than Asio4All as you mentioned.    I understand I will have to give "exclusive control" to VA2 in my Lenovo Tablet when I perform, but can you easily implement WASAPI without giving "exclusive control" so that the user can choose depending on the needs?   I mean if this is not too much work for you.

Thanks,
Chris   

Dan

WASAPI without exclusive control will give you something like ASIO4ALL or DirectSound = add some latency to modify the audio, to adapt the vArranger sound to the other running software. So not worth doing it again with WASAPI

lakere

Thanks, Dan, for your explanation.     While I do not understand all the more technical aspects of it, I do understand that this is a limitation of MS Windows when it comes to midi/audio.     However, Microsoft says it will address many of the issues.   Has anyone seen this MS keynote speech at the 2015 Summer NAMM?     They have promised some great audio/midi feastures such as
USB-C
Thunderbolt 3
Bluetooth MIDI
Lower audio latency
Audio aggregation and routing
USB Audio 2 Class
USB 3/3.1
MIDI routing
http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2015/07/29/windows-10-promises-better-audio-midi-performance-easier-app-development/   

Dan

This is not a limitation of Windows, but when different software want to use different settings, like 44100Hz, 48000Hz, 24 Bit, 16 Bit, etc.... Then the driver will need to resample the audio, so every software can still use the same audio card. This is time consuming, and a destructive audio process. Also, windows will have to wait all the software to have filled their audio buffer before sending it to the audio card.
That's why I prefer to stay in the pro environment of the exclusive access to the audio card. Every bit of music generated by vArranger will go directly and fast to the audio card.

Audio on Windows is actually very good. What I am waiting is the Midi over Bluetooth integrated into Windows :)

harcon01

I am using Varranger software synthesizer more and have connected a Sound Blaster X-fi  (laptop) sound card to my Windows 7 32 bit.  The X-fi card shows up in VA midi port options in audio out as both WASAPI & DirectSound. I can select the DirectSound: X-Fi option and all is well but I have some latency.

When I choose WASAPI: X-Fi option I get the WASAPI _Init : 6 error . I have gone into Manage audio devices- properties- Exclusive Mode  and ticked both:
         Allow application....
         Give exclusive mode....

I have done a little test using the other sound card option Speakers- (SoundMax Intergrated) all goes well with WASAPI option. Then if I remove the tick in Exclusive Mode under Audio devices I get the  WASAPI _Init : 6 error. So I know it is working with the other sound card option.

I have done the usual updating of drivers etc, but continue to get this WASAPI _Init : 6 error on the X-Fi sound card , any advice or assistance would be appreciated.

Paul

Dan

Do you know at what frequency the audio card is working? Is it locked somewhere? is 44100 or 48000 allowed?

harcon01

Dan

Thanks for your prompt response. In manage audio device under advanced speaker properties it has 4 x sample rates both 16 bit 44100 & 48000 & 24 bit 44100 48000. I have tried all four rates but still get the error message.
Not too sure how I would check if it is locked somewhere? I have tried restoring default settings, turning off all the (soundblaster) effects etc, even disabling & reinstall the device.

Paul

Dan

Dan

Maybe because it is 5.1 audio system... I have to check it.

You can run http://www.varranger.com/support.exe and tell me your ID in a private email