News:

Version 1.20 is ready to download

Main Menu

Kurzweil Pc3K question

Started by Anthares, September 15, 2015, 09:11:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anthares

Hi Dan,

I am new to the forum, I am evaluating Varranger2 or a BK-7m Roland module.
I find interesting your sw because of loading of styles of different platforms, on the other hand stability and ease of use of Roland module seems to me better.

My setup:

I have a Yamaha Cp50 and a Kurzweil PC3k. I have a Toshiba laptop with i7 quad core and 6gb of ram with win8 connected to an external audio interface Steinberg UR22.

Question: can I use Kurzweil Pc3K to hear the styles? Should I do something particular to the styles? Or to the Varranger cfg? I've read that Va2 works very well with Ketron modules, but I would like not to add this expense (I would go in the Roland module range).

Have you any user with a similar setup?
I'm concerned to put myself in a complex situation to be able to use Pc3K as main audio output.

Any suggestion?

Thank you for your help

Reg's

Ant

Dan

Hello Ant,

I had a K2661 some years ago, and maybe it is the same with the PC3K

vArranger can work with it, but this workstation is a bit special.

vArranger sends notes on the 16 midi channels, so imagine to play it like in SONG mode or SETUP mode, but not in Program mode, where it stacks many channels together to create a multi sound

The FX setup will be shared between he 16 tracks (K2661)

I don't remember how the K2661 reacted to midi bank and program changes, but it has a GM mode where you can use only the 128 GM sounds

At least, it sounded directly OK, but was limited in term of possible sounds...

If not in GM mode,

I see here that the PC3K in extended mode can receive midi bank and program change
http://www.manualslib.com/manual/814507/Kurzweil-Pc3k.html?page=247

But will have to manually change the sounds of each tracks, and save the style. (put a bass sound in the bass tracks...)

This is a bit of work, but considering the sounds quality of the PC3K, this can worth the efforts.

You can try to play a standard midifile from your computer to the PC3K, to understand what I mean.

You can also use the vArranger synth or VST instruments, etc.... vArranger is more flexible and has more style formats support

The BK-7M is different.... it is plug and play, but more expensive, and you need to listen to it's sounds & styles. Maybe you will like, or maybe not.

I hope this helps a bit in your reflexion

Anthares

Hello Dan,

Thank you for your prompt response.
I've seen GM mode in PC3K but I'd prefer not to use it (I would like to use Kurz programs, I love them!).

Song mode or setup mode could be investigated, I will try with midi files transmitted from Laptop (I suppose it's different if I load them from USB stick...).

Some more questions:

- About Varranger Synth: Is there some demo of it? Quality is similar to GM SF2 banks? Better? I remember a Bassmidi driver loading soundfont I used time ago with Vanbasco player, not a great soluition (imho)
     I think mainly because sound palette suffers of lack of effects in some cases.
   - VST: I have something but not much, I would consider it mainly for UP1 part (maybe) but the support to it (and VST effects) is useful (I sould use it only in studio, mainly for "inspiration"). Again, is there in your
      experience a VST working best with VA2?
   - I understand I should edit ALL styiles (OUCH!), maybe it can worth the huge work but...is there an external synth VA2 works better with? (I would not like to but SD4 or SD1000...Maybe I could add in the future
      another external synth to my equipment (jupiter 50? something other? Maybe the Integra?)
   - If I'd decide to edit styles to be compatible with PC3K can I do that from Va2 or do I need another kind of software? Which one? Has it a cost?

I'm with you about the Roland expense...even if I think that VA2 would benefint from a Touchscreen monitor (money)...let's say that from Midi master point of you PC3K can do almost everything (better than many Master keyboards) but I have to investigate if it can do that WHILE in setup or song mode.

Thank you for your help

Reg's

Ant