News:

Version 1.20 is ready to download

Main Menu

Varranger, sf2 and midi out.

Started by giupa, August 25, 2015, 10:51:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

giupa

Hi Dan
I'm seriously considering buying the varranger2.
I would like to use it but only with my sound banks sf2.
Three questions:
- I could create additional midi out with custom .ins?
- What is currently the memory limit of the virtual synth?
- Its sounds are played in streaming or loaded into RAM?

Thanks for your attention and forgive my bad English.

Pino.

Dan

- You can use 3 midi out    For example, You can use one for your SF2, one for playing VST instruments, and one for external midi out.  You can use INS to select sounds easily. vArranger automatically display your SF2 sounds. So you don't need INS for that.

- 4GB of sounds if you use the 32 bit version  Unlimited if you use the 64 bit version, but limited by your installed RAM.

- Loaded into RAM.

giupa

Thank you for your immediate availability.

I try to explain better:
- I have seen from the screenshot that each MIDI out support some mapping presets: Gm -Gm2-XG - etc.
  I can create my own mapping for the midi out with my .ins?
- The virtual synths can work only in gm2 or the mapping is free?

Thanks

Pino

Dan

Not sure I understand your question.

Inside each SF2 files, you can have one or many PRESETS  each preset has a BANK number and a Program number.
vArranger will display the list of all your SF2 presets, and you can select every preset from vArranger, for every track

You are not limited to GM/GM2... sounds. You can play 128 * 127 * 127 =2064512 of different sf2 sounds

Every track retains a bank 0 / Bank 32 / Program change number, and those will call the right SF2 sound

giupa

Practically
what's the function of the mapping windows (gm-gm2-xg-etc) in the "midi-out" menu?
If I use the virtual synth or another hardware synth (motif, moxf, fantom, krome, etc), which mapping I can select?

Dan

The mapping is mostly helping because of the second drum track.

Normal GM synth has only one drum channel (10) But most of styles has 2 drums tracks.

On ketron sound modules, we need to send a special sysex. With GS sound modules there is another different sysex for that. With GM2, I force the drums bank to 120, etc...

On XG, I don't bypass the sysex of the yamaha styles, to set fx etc...

GS and XG will profit of the portamento to change smoothly between chords. But you need to have a hardware that is compatible.

With the virtual synth this setting is almost not changing anything, because I know what it is capable of (the best :))

Usually XG for yamaha synth, GS for Roland synth, GM2 for other, or GM if you can't access all sounds in GM2 mode

GM2 for the vASynth or VST

giupa

Excellent,
so no need to create new maps?

One last question: Is it difficult to change an program change or volume to a track in the style and save the edit style??

Thanks again for your attention and courtesy.

Pino

Dan

No need.

it is very easy to change sound and volume in a track and SAVE SONG