News:

Version 1.20 is ready to download

Main Menu

Creating My Own Style

Started by paulus1971, March 29, 2015, 01:08:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulus1971

Hi Dan,

I have created an .sty file (yamaha style format) using cakewalk. But vArranger can't read the file. I am sure vArranger .prs style for yamaha using different format than .sty yamaha original style. So, i'm having a really hard time to make my own style using yamaha style format to be able to be played with vArranger.

Could you please tell me, to create my own style (using yamaha style format) in cakewalk :
1. how many tracks i have to create? (some of prs style in vArranger contain 14 tracks)
2. what channels i must assign to each instruments in vArranger?
3. how can i import yamaha psr style to varranger?

Thank you

Dan

Hello Paulus,

You can read here very detailed help on the Yamaha style format.
http://www.jososoft.dk/yamaha/articles/style2_0.htm

Basically, Yamaha styles files are a midifile.
They have markers to separate the arranger's sections  (Intros, Fillins,...)

Arrangers can only handle 8 tracks. BUT you can create 16 tracks in Yamaha styles, that will redirect to the 8 arrangers tracks.

There is a section in the style called CASM where you can explain to vArranger how the tracks need to be played.

For example you says that midi track 1 and 2  are going to bass track.  One for major and one for minor...

There is some CASM editors for free in internet

If the style follows the rules, then you just need to load it on vArranger with the LOAD button

agaton

@paulus1971
The site wich Dan give to you, is one of the sites
with most Software for creating of Styles in Yamaha
format. The Chord Switching what Dan explained is
only with this software to make, not on any of
hardware Yamaha arrangers. Go to the site, it is very
helpfull for any user and creator of Yamaha styles !!!

paulus1971

Thank you Dan and Agaton for your kind help,

Actually, what i want is very simple, i only need to trigger different parts of a midi file that i assigned to each variation in vArranger.

For instance, i want to create a "style" (what i want to create is not really a style actually) for "Autumn Leaves" song.

I would make 64 bars (8 tracks) midi song consisting of Verse 1 (16 bars) - Chorus 1  (16 bars) - Verse 2  (16 bars) - Chorus 2 (16 bars) . Then i assign Verse 1 to Variation 1,  Verse 2 to Variation 2,  Chorus 1 to Variation 3,  and Chorus 2  to Variation 4.

So, when i play the "Autumn Leaves" song to back up my singer, we will have the flexibility of how we want to do it. We can go from Verse 1 - Verse 2 - Chorus 1 - Verse 2 - Chorus 2.....etc..   and next time we can go from Chrous 1 - Verse 1 - Verse 2 - Chorus 1 - Chrous 2....etc....   and i don't want to do this with any arranger keyboard, but i want to do this with vArranger and my synths. Since no arranger keyboard can sound as good as a good synth.

I don't think in this case i need CASM editor right?  Coz all i need is to trigger different parts of a midi file using Variation 1, 2, 3, 4, Ending 1, 2, 3.....so I will not need to play the chord progression of the song at all

Do you have any ideas, what is the easiest way to do this?

Thanks a lot.

paulus1971

Thank you for your very quick reply Dan and Agaton,

I didn't know that vArranger has this "Song Styles" feature. That is really great!