News:

Version 1.20 is ready to download

Main Menu

Replacing Controller Keyboard

Started by Bernie9, March 13, 2015, 10:27:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bernie9

I am replacing my old Axiom with a Novation 61 SL MK11.  I need to know what steps I need to take besides remapping the controller file in vArranger to the Novation.

For example: I have saved songs as "ALL" , which I think includes controller information.  Do I have to remap and resave these songs ?

Anything else ?

ovation99

Hi,
As a novice my information maybe incorrect, but I have an Axiom 61 which was mapped to VA2.
Subsequently, I bought a Samson graphite 49 and had to re-map the VA2 to accommodate the new keyboard, but I find that part of the fun.
So it looks like you may have to re-save your songs for the new keyboard, but I may be wrong here.
As a tip, I have saved my configurations (vArranger2.ini) in different folders, so that I can recall a specific config depending on which keyboard I am using.

AL

agaton

@Bernie9

It is not so simply. First you have to see what of Midi Control Numbers
are defined to physical Controllers on Novation. Than go to Controllers
in vArranger2 and make your Controller Map. It will be little bit more
work for you.

Dan

Configuration for the Novation SLMKII is :

- MIDI IN 1 : NOVATION SL MKII
- MIDI IN 2 : MIDIIN2-NOVATION SL MKII        LED FEEDBACK 2  [X]     MIDIOUT2-NOVATION SL MKII

Then you reassign in CONTROLLERS screen

No modifications or resaving songs needed

Bernie9

I am using an M-Audio Uno as an interface, and SD4 with Surface Pro 2.  Since the ports have been showing the Uno instead of the Axiom, does this change the process ?

My keyboard will be delivered this afternoon so I can't tell what the port configuration will read.

Dan

You need to plug the Novation SLMKII USB cable directely into the USB hub. No need to plug it to the M-Audio Uno
The usb cable will allow to power the keyboard and also transfer the midi data.

Bernie9

Great, no dangling wires.  I think I am set, thanks to Dan and the forum members.  I will report back.

Bernie9

The Novation works fine but the SD4 is not getting even though everything normal on the screen.  It worked before with Midi, but not USB.

St up as instructed except LED is now play notes

Bernie9

I have tried ever thing I can think of-no Midi to SD4-atleast it is not lighting my powered hub and the Midi light isn't flashing, and no sound at all.

USB from SD4 to hub-keyboard mode(nas)
USB from Novation to hub-OK
L&R cables from SD4 to mixer
Hub to pc USB port
PC sound to speakers-no other choice like midi device.  SD4 is supposed to be class compliant, and no driver needed, but I don't see it recognized anywhere.

PORTS
Midi In 1-SL MKII
"  '        2 "    "   
Midi Out 1 -None ?
Midi Out 2-SL MKII

Dan

If the SD4 is not lighting after you press the power switch, you need to power it with the power supply.

Don't select Play notes, but LED FEEDBACK, and select Novation out2 for that

for midi out 1, select the SD4, but you still can use the MAUDIO UNO for the SD4 if it was working previously

Bernie9

I went back to power chords and MAudio Uno and it works except one thing.  One reason why I replaced the Axiom was because the G4 note was not sounding.  The SL MKII has the same problem.  The midi activity light on top of the vArranger screen blinks, but no response from right track lights.

Dan

Go on Options / Controllers, and try to find the line you have assigned to the G4 note
Select it, and do NO MIDI CONTROL

Did you get the feedback led working for the Novation?

Bernie9

Midi Monitor upon pressing G4 key:
(1) Midi Port-SL MKII, Note on, Chan 1, Ctrl 79, Value 35
(2) "        "         "        Note Off   "   "        "          Value 8

Don't see it in controls

In regard to ports. I was just trying to get SD4 working, so changed to:
Midi In-SLMKII (Uno did not work)
Midi out-USB Uno (Ketron SD4) Audio-Directsound

Midi and power cables to SD4 and Novation.

I did not install Automap as I wanted vArranger controls.

No-LED feedback not on.

If there is something other than SD4 I should use, I will.

Dan

SO check again every lines of CONTROLLERS, and check for a line with 79

You can send a picture screen of your MIDI PORTS. Did you select the MIDI IN 2  Novation 2 and LEDFEEDBACK 2 Novation 2

Bernie9

I will recheck for 79, in the meantime I added Midi out 2=Midi out 2(SL MKII)  Ketron SD4(right box) saw no reference to LED Feedback.

Dan

No, the midi out 2 should be NONE in your case

you should click on the LEFT FEEDBACK close to MIDI IN 2, and select Novation 2

Bernie9

Do you mean SL MKII or Midi in 2(SL MKII) in the LED box ?

Dan

Bernie9

Midi in=Novation ( no feedback for Midi in 1)
Midi In 2 =Novation with LED Feedback chosen(Novation)
Midi Out=Uno (Ketron SD4)

There have been no controls assigned to Novation yet. Untouched

Bernie9

I found the controller 79 and cleared it.  It was assigned to Leslie Slow and Fast. The G4 in back to Note on/off.
Should I assign controllers now ?

Dan

Yes, you can try to assign the START/STOP with a Novation button.

Bernie9

Thank you for your help.  It isn't a streamlined USB set up, but the Novation is great to play on.

Dan

Did you get the led feedback?
It is for now, exactly like before. The novation is just one USB cable.

Bernie9

No, when you said I can use Midi cables(Uno) to run the SD4 since it was not working on USB.  I got out the Uno again and connected that way,  This meant I had to use an AC adaptor and unplugged the USB from Novation.  I don't even know what LED Feedback is, but I see nothing on the Novation.  Of coarse, I haven't programmed it yet.

Dan

You need to use the USB for the novation
The SD4 like you always did

Bernie9

Working fine, now I can set all controls.

Dan

Bernie9

Dan

Can you send a picture screen of MIDI PORTS

Bernie9

I probably could if I knew how.  The My Right Sounds have been programmed and they work fine with the assigned button on the Novation lighted up in red.  I really don't know what else it is supposed to do,

Dan

If you change the my sound with the mouse, do you see the novation buttons red light changing too?

This is the led feedback. It is bidirectionnal, and helps a lot

Bernie9

Yes-Great. It is a great help.

It took awhile but you finally got through to me.  You kids are way ahead of me in technical aspects, but playing, well I don't know.

One other thing-For now SD4 or SD2 is fine, but this Novation has such capability I wonder if I should install Automap for anything in the future, but I don't want to disturb vAR.  I have Kontakt, a huge Quantum Leap library, and a Muse Receptor.  I was thinking of sounds for the band I lead.

I have big ideas and no technical knowledge to implement them, but it is fun trying.