Interested in vArranger 2: sound modules other than Ketron possible?

Started by musicmaker84, March 09, 2015, 12:28:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

musicmaker84

Hello,

VArranger seems to be something I have been wanting for many years wihout knowing it does exist. Now, could other sound modules work with vArranger without major problems or modifications? I am thinking especially about Roland BK 7m or SD-50.

Can vArranger velocity switch instruments?

Thanks a lot.

Dan

Yes. Any GM modules will work, but not all styles will work with all modules directly.

vArranger can do velocity switch for right hand melody instruments

musicmaker84

Thanks for the reply. I've had a read in the forums and I watched some videos on youtube.

It seems that a software based GM module is an alternative to start slowly before upgrading to Ketron or any other module.

I still have a copy of Bandstand. It comes with GM compability and is nothing else than a Midi player with quality samples. I assume it would work. Does vArranger use any other instruments than the standard 128 ones for the accompaniment?

How does the built in software synth compare? Quality sounds? Or similar to Microsoft/Yamaha Wave table implementation?

Thanks a lot.

Dan

from what I have heard, bandstand should work, but did not tried it.
Someone did a video with vArranger and HyperSonic2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucfgxSuCGcg
A big number of styles are GM compliant and should work OK
The built in software sounds are like the Microsoft one, but sounds a lot better with vArranger
Also, you can completely replace the built in sounds, by using SoundFonts samples, that you can find free on internet

mrgentleman

Hi musicmaker84

Yes Bandstand works in GM mode - It works quite well ! I tested a lot before I bought
my Ketron SD 1000 - but "Bandstand" compare to the SD modul....Man, you will
never looking back - Sorry ! I have compared with expensive hardwares too, The SD 1000
rocks for it's price....

But anyway, it's a option - now that you still own a version of Bandstand. Try it !!

Regards Michael

cirerenrut

I have tried Bandstand with vArranger but was disapointed with the results, considering the size of the program the voices sounded little different to vArranger's own built in generator and not a patch on the SD1000.
Perhaps I was expecting to much.
Eric

musicmaker84

Thanks to all of you for the insight.

I agree that Bandstand ain't the best module out there. It's quite old and perhaps won't work well with non GM compliant styles. Have to look into Halion Sonic then at some point. Also, I do own a copy of Ignite. Not sure if that will work as a midi player device.

The problem with Ketron: I could purchase an SD2, but the SD-1000 isn't widely available around here. So, it ain't a solution right off the bat.

I do have access to a BK 7m though. The question is: will other than Roland styles play well on it for the most part right out of the box? I am not so much into tweaking styles beyond some simple modifications.

Furthermore, since the BK 7m is an arranger module, I am not clear yet what vArranger could do with it beyond playing other styles?

Dan

You have many choices, you can use the BK7M as a sound module, Bandstand, the vArranger synth, SF2 sounds, VST instruments, buy later other coming sound modules, etc...
This is the good thing with vArranger. You can use many configrations depending on the need and what you have.

Bachus

Quote from: cirerenrut on March 10, 2015, 04:49:07 PM
I have tried Bandstand with vArranger but was disapointed with the results, considering the size of the program the voices sounded little different to vArranger's own built in generator and not a patch on the SD1000.
Perhaps I was expecting to much.
Eric

bandstand is six years old ...  Its just instruments, no effects, in general its Effects that make sample based sounds shine... 

Lylo

Hello, Banbstand - november 2005, it's completely hasbeen and it's was never very good.  ;)

sdada

yamaha styles (up to t4)  in  S-YXG2006LE - good play......
Ketron SD1,SD5 styles  in my bank - good play too