News:

Version 1.20 is ready to download

Main Menu

8 layers (sf2) EPiano from the Ketron SD1000

Started by mrgentleman, February 18, 2015, 03:25:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrgentleman

Hi all !
Spent some time to get a decent SoundFont E.Piano (sf2)
Here is the result. 8 layer / 65 mb - And you
have to guess "If you dare" - which one that is
hardware or which is (sf2).
Give me some response below, what you think.
Hardware is Ketron SD 1000 - as mentioned.

I think I'm gonna to sample some more instruments If
I got the time and if someone likes the result !

Regards Michael

sf2 or hardware SD1000
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z4nq040ei2a3tvn/EPiano%2001.mp3?dl=0

sf2 or hardware SD1000
https://www.dropbox.com/s/eq194ol0jlycp0j/EPiano%2002.mp3?dl=0

Dan

mmm... I would say 01 is hardware  and 02 is software

But 01 seems to have some CHORUS effect on it, and not 02

agaton

First sound is much voluminous, smooth and wide, maybe because
it is stereo sampled or you have added one short hall and/or chorus.
The second sound is to tight, and poor, with more attack and without
effects, or it is just mono sampled. I'd say like Dan.

First sound is from hardware. 

semimi

I prefer the 01 sample , more wide , I think that 02 is the software sample.

mrgentleman

One more chance ! - I'm gonna tell you later !

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yv925lzhf96ufrt/E.Piano03.mp3?dl=0

/ Michael

Dan

ha ha very nice. Now with chorus !
I think the 3 is vArranger synth.  I can't say that I prefer 1 or 3. You have done a great job.
You can lower the right 1 track volume a little down to not saturate.

Now another question about the player experience feeling. Do you have a preference?

I don't think the SD1000 has 8 velocity layers for that sound ! Maybe only 2.

You can try and listen every velocity, and hear distinctly the velocity switch values.

I think you can only samples at those values, and this will use less memory.

agaton

Yes, that's right. SD1000 have some sounds there are velocity
switched, but only two layers. Eight layers is to much, and it is
all in vain, it is in fact, banefull for memory. SF2 Synth Engine
is prety good with less artefacts, and good filters to modulate
sounds with velocity. The same result will be with only two layers.

SD1000 has four kind of sounds. First group are sounds with mono
samples, the second are sounds with stereo sampled instruments,
group three are multilayered sounds, and last group are multilayered
stereo sampled sounds.

lee

I'm not sure which is which...all are very nicely done.
Buy, my old ears like #1.
And,,,,what a beautiful song...I must do it now to see how nice I can play it (with practice)
More please!
Lee

mrgentleman

Yes ! I think I can reconize 3 layers - E.Piano from SD1000 - But this is the deal, for
every - none - new - own - doublet SoundFont layer, I blended samples with some
analog  harmonics (from MIC) and dif. EQ:s. Without this flavor the sound (sf2) was
rather flat and thin but with some polishing it really stand out and became better.
The first and number three is the softsynth. You have good ears Dan and agaton.
I know that now  ;) Very impressive !

Sorry ! The second and third was the softsynth !

Regards Michael

Dan

In fact, I was wrong :) But wow, vA synth can sound better than SD1000

The next step is to sample a real Fender Rhodes :)

agaton

vA2 Synth can sound better than all of hardware workstations and
arrangers toghether. It is only the queston how serios sounds will
be sampled und edited. The SF2 platform has roots in Emulator
hardware samplers, and they were non-plus-ultra. Structure of
SF2 Synth Engine and modulation matrix of it, is imperious. This
must be only used on highest level, and all is achievable !!! The best
premise is given from vArranger2 Synth, all other is very light. You
will see, and you will be astonished !!!

cirerenrut

I doing my level best to understand Agaton but you appear to be saying that with sampling and editing software integral to vArranger will sound superior to my SD1000 which I purchased because I could not find any software adequate.

Dan

haweneu

Hi,
if you sample the analog output of the SD1000, you ever have loss of information because of for example sampling theorem and D/A Converter Resolution.
So the sound of the real SD1000 or Software SF2 sampled version must differ! But not everybody hears this!
If you then polish the softwareversion with some effect ( warm tube distortion, a little bit chrous ..), some people hear a better sound (depending on personal taste!).

It is a great job, to sample all soundpossibilities of an SD1000, because you have near infinite combinations of effect-settings that you can use.

Only take a look at the HQ Distortion processor in the SD1000 ( it has 2 DSP channels). With this Module you can make the sound of an old Hammond B3 ( i can it compare to my own Hammond C3). The Hammond from the Sd1000 sounds like a real electromechanical Hammond B3 Organ, very vintage!

So for me the real SD1000 is its money worth!

But the SF2 Soundgenerator is also an phantastic solution for those people, that only go on stage with an masterkeyboard and the PC.

agaton

Quote from: cirerenrut on February 19, 2015, 03:02:58 PM
I doing my level best to understand Agaton but you appear to be saying that with sampling and editing software integral to vArranger will sound superior to my SD1000 which I purchased because I could not find any software adequate.
Yes, it is maybe strange, but it sound superior to SD1000 which very good instrument is. I have SD1000 and I can very well compare it. The difference is immense for  the benefit for TA Sound Engine of vArranger Synth. Why ? Because the SD1000 sounds are sampled thru highest quality equipment with much analoge tube touch and edited Sound Programs to become more voluminous, wide and soft sounds. All of sounds are stereo sampled thru very, very "expensive" small Ambient Effects from Lexicon 480L (not software) to become adequate body resonator of some real instruments, and amazing small spaces on some other. On SD1000 most of sounds are mono sampled. I have changed some of inferior sound programs with first class sounds, construct new Drum Kits also with multilayered stereo samples (some Snares with 7 or 8 Layers), and made some new Drums and Persussions audio loops. Now to vArranger Synth. Dan has made amazing thing with three Send and one Master VST Effects, to be used with  vArranger Synth. I use some excellent VST Effect PlugIns on TA Sound Engine, and SD1000 has only indifferent quality Effects. Only this difference is more than immense. Dan wrote to me yesterday, that he will probably make one VST Effect Insert for every track except Drums tracks !!! That will be paradise for Sound Engine of vArranger Synth, so many first class VST Effects in one instrument !!! It is too much more as two modestly insert effects on SD1000. There were only a few factors which make software Sound Engine for vArranger Synth superrior to SD1000 and superrior to most other hardware workstations and arrangers. All of this hardware instruments are also sample based just like a TA Sound Engine for vArranger Synth, but we have to time, 4 GB Sample "ROM" space, and most of actual top hardware instruments (except Korg Kronos) have 0,5 to 0,75 GB Sample ROM sounds  !!!