Version 1.20 is ready to download

Main Menu

VST keyswitch on nanokontrol2

Started by crisoto, February 15, 2015, 10:10:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crisoto

Hi,

I recently purchased vArranger and this is my setup:

- vArranger: MIDI IN 1 from USB MIDI Controller, MIDI IN 2 from Korg nanokontrol2 with LED feedback, MIDI OUT 1 to LoopMidi1 (virtual MIDI cable)
- TransMIDIfier: MIDI IN from LoopMidi1, MIDI OUT to LoopMidi2 - LoopMidi7 depending on Program Change number (this for each MIDI channel individually).
- Sonar X3: MIDI IN LoopMidi2 - LoopMidi7, one track per General MIDI instrument (omitting several GM patches/program change numbers I don't use)

This setup allow me to use Sonar as a VST host with VST instruments from different companies (NI, Eastwest, Synthogy, etc.) and make Sonar be able to respond to Program Change from vArranger when selecting different patches or switching styles/songs. So when I change a patch or style/song in vArranger, TransMIDIfier sees the program changes in each MIDI channel and routes the MIDI data in LoopMidi1 to the corresponding channel in LoopMidi2 – LoopMidi7 and Sonar plays the corresponding track which is assigned to a specific VST instrument. I don't have to change anything in Sonar when changing patches/styles and all changes are immediate since all VST instruments (most GM instruments) are loaded in Sonar (I have 16GB RAM). This way, I can also add VST effects. This gives me more flexibility than using the built in VST host in Varranger.

Anyway, this is the issue I'm having. Some VST instruments have keyswitches and I want to control the keyswitches with buttons on the nanokontrol2. I set up the nanokontrol2 with the Korg Kontrol Editor so that one of the buttons plays the keyswitch note. I expected the keyswitch note to play on "Right 1" on vArranger. But I see that the note is played on "Left 1".

How can I make the keyswitch button on the nanokontrol2 play on "Right 1" so that the keyswitch is played for the instrument in Right 1? Ideally, it would be good to have the option for specifying which Right/Left 1/2/3/4 the key from the nanokontrol2 should play on.

Is what I want to do possible with vArranger?

Thanks

agaton

Why to set Keyswitches on Right 1 ? Define Keyswitches
notes in a sound programs in highest octave. In this
octave are no sound notes, than define on nanocontrol2
this notes as Keyswitch notes, and you have than always
Keyswitch notes with sound program what you play, on R1,
2, 3, 4 and second voice also.
Other way is to remap Keyswitch notes to highest octave,
with any Midi processor aplication, and so you don't need to
edit Keyswitch notes in every sound in Kontakt.
Best choice for Keyswitching is nanokey2, but not nanokontrol2 !!!

All what you wish is possible to make with vArranger2, and
much, much more.

Dan

What is your Main/First MIDI instrument?

I tought a Keyswitch in Kontakt, is usually a note in low octave of the first midi keyboard?

crisoto

Dan, yes, the Keyswitch is a note in the lower octaves of the first midi keyboard. Let's say the Keyswitch is C0. What I want is that when I press a button on the nanokontrol (MIDI IN 2) that is mapped to C0, it gets interpreted as C0 for Right 1, not Right 3 (or have the ability to select for which Right 1/2/3/4 Left 1/2/3 you want a note on nankontrol (MIDI IN 2) played on). When using auto accompaniment, the lower half of the keyboard is for chord recognition, so I can not use the keys of the keyswitches. Also, depending on the keyboard that is available on the venue I play in, the keyboard may not even have the note for the low keyswitch. I could remap the keyswitches to a higher octave, but it is better for me to play the keyswitch note with the nanokontrol with my left hand.

The workaround solution I'm using right now is to route in Transmidifier all notes in LoopMidi1 Channel 3 (Left 1) to LoopMidi1 Channel 13 (Right 1). It works well for the keyswitches controlled by the nanokontrol, but now I can not use Left 1 with a different sound/notes than Right 1.

Is what I am trying do possible in vArranger?

Thanks!

Dan

It's not possible, because MIDI IN 2 is concidered as the 2nd Keyboard, and will not send to the 1st Keyboard

Can you load the VST in vArranger, and go on the VST Options (+) of this VST

You will see a list of parameters.

Can you see if the KeySwitches are displayed in the list?

If Yes, then we can assign a NanoKontrol Switch to control this VST parameter.

crisoto

I already tried loading the VST in vArranger and using the VST parameter control, but unfortunately the keyswitches do not appear in the list of parameters.

Could this feature be added in a future release? (Ability to select which Right 1/2/3/4 Left 1/2/3 you want a note on MIDI IN 2/3 played on)?

I like agaton's idea of using nanokey2 for keyswitches since some keyswitches are velocity sensitive. But this will only be possible if the feature I'm requesting is added :)

Dan

For now, it is not possible.
What is your MIDI Keyboard n°1?  Maybe there is some buttons on it that can be set to send a MIDI note?