News:

Version 1.20 is ready to download

Main Menu

Assigning midi controls

Started by Lionel, March 06, 2010, 02:16:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lionel

Hi Dan,

Another important point for me is the ability to control volumes. As with my midi guitar I can control my volumes thru vArranger no problem, but with the keyboard the lack of a midi volume wheel or similar makes it very difficult to alter the volume, particularly if the keyboard is used for support harmony/melody.

Maybe some keyboards have a midi assignable volume control but with mine (Casio Privia) there is no midi assignable volume wheel. I can't be the only one who has this problem, unless I have overlooked something.

I am asking if the volumes can be assigned to keys on PC keyboard where one key is volume up and another volume down. At the moment you can only assign to a wheel.

Also using the mouse to drag the sliders can be frustrating as the seem to be reluctant to move at times.

But hey that triggered a thought - if we select the track/ input instrument to change volume we could use the mouse wheel to control volume. Can that be a solution?

Is there another solution for this nagging problem. :-\

Regards
Lionel

Bernie9

Hi Lionel
The inherent problem with software based programs is fast and easy midi control.  While Dan's program is the easiest and most intuitive I have seen, it may still take an external controller to access all parameters.  While the Privia is a great keyboard for the money, it is not meant to be a full controller. 

Dan is certainly a wizard in what he does and, for all I know, come up with something on the pc keyboard.  If he doesn't, you might have to go with an external unit like:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Akai-Professional-MPD26-Performance-Pad-Controller-105779094-i1504737.gc

Assuming you don't want to use a regular controller keybiard

Bernie

Lionel

Hi Bernie,
Using an external unit then takes away one input for vArranger. That then creates another problem.

Does your keyboards have the required control so you can map to volume.

With vArranger already on PC (Laptop) it makes sense to keep the main control there as like a mixer which it already does. I certainly hope Dan has a way for this. If not I will have to find a better solution, but then again having the option required makes vArranger very versitile software.

Regards
Lionel

Bernie9

I see you play guitar and the wife plays keyboard.  How do you hook up two, and does the Privia control anything  ?  I am trying to get a picture of the role the Privia plays.  I mean, is the Privia Midie'd to the vArranger and playing SD2 sounds ?

Lionel

Hi Bernie,

How do we hook up, well here is my setup.

My wife (Privia keyboard) midi usb cable into laptop into right side vArranger (Input 1)

Myself (Midi guitar) to Roland GI-20 which then is another USB input into laptop to vArranger(Input 2). From vArranger it is out to SD2 module then to mixer desk - speakers.

Certain controls like variation changes, endings, fill are set to keyboard. Settings like Intro and selecting styles etc are set to Laptop.

My midi guitar allows me to set volume independent for myself, but the keyboard having no midi volume wheel, well we have to change cumbersomely via drag right side volume up or down via mouse, which is reluctant to move at times.

Sounds come out wonderful though.

Lionel

Bernie9

Hi Lional
I bet it is a good sound. It looks like the Privia is the weak link, as any controller keyboard would have all the sliders and buttons to assign to volume and everything else.

Lionel

Hi Bernie,
As for controlling midi, Yes, the keyboard is the weak link. But it is full size with weighed keys and allows for use of lowest keys to select variation and Endings on the fly. My eldest boy plays piano and this keyboard helps simulate piano feel.

Also with damper pedal allows for triggering of fills.

The keyboard is a Casio Privia PX-410R. Not to metion the guitar which responds beautifully for midi - Godin LGX-SA.

Can you suggest a controller only keyboard and I will look it up.

Regards
Lionel

Bernie9

Hi Lionel
I am using the Axiom 61
http://www.guitarcenter.com/M-Audio-Axiom-61-61-Key-USB-MIDI-Controller-103573630-i1154832.gc

I find it has more than enough controls and works fine, although I would prefer a firmer keybed.

Dan

Hi Bernie,

I read that there is the same keyboard with a better key action it is the Axiom 61 PRO

http://www.guitarcenter.com/M-Audio-Axiom-Pro-61-USB-MIDI-Keyboard-Controller-105316681-i1437905.gc

Not sure how much it is better....

Lionel,

One of my user use this : Korg Nano Control

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Korg-Nano-KONTROL-Black-802775-i1435763.gc

It is Very small, lightweight, compact, not expensive USB MIDI Controller.

You will be able to change many volumes of the vArranger, and also some of the vArranger's functions with the 20 buttons... Why not for sound changing? 

You can write the function's names in small stickers to make the things nicer.

I think about something.... If you use Midi Keyboard + Midi Guitar + MIDI Controller, I will have to add a 3rd MIDI input :)

Why not... it should be cool....

Let me know...

Dan

Bernie9

Hi Dan
Yes, the Axiom Pro is better, but at over $500 it better be.  Thanks, My Axiom is good enough.

Lional
I can see why you would want to keep the Privia.  That leaves the small auxiliary controllers like Korg Nanokontrol.  It sure is a possibility at less than $50.

You might want to look at the two videos.

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&aq=4&oq=korg+nano&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4ADFA_enUS351US351&q=korg+nanokontrol+review

Lionel

Hi Guys,
Nice to see fellow help.

Choices, choices,  :-\ well nanopad a cheaper option if a 3rd input is feasible for vArranger.

Also looking into Axiom 61 - Advanced 61-Key Semi-Weighted USB MIDI Controller. Being in Australia they tend to double charge any US products. But that would be nice for extra control.

Maybe, maybe the nanopad. Depends on Dan with 3rd input.

Thanks
Lionel

Dan

The 3rd input will depends on Lionel with the NanoKontrol :)

I personnaly use this one.
It's not hammers feel but it's 88 keys with aftertouch and not cheap keys.

http://www.studiologic.net/vmk-88.html

Dan

Lionel

Ok ,
Got a quote for Axiom 61 $450 AUD

Dan, you being the programmer, would 3 inputs create more chance of bugs and other problems?

Still undecided, and how long would it take to implement a 3rd input. I can get nanoKrontrol for around $130 AUD.

What are your pros and cons on the choices?

Thanks
Lionel

Bernie9

Lionel
Aside from the 3rd port question to Dan, the first consideration is the physical attributes.  The Nano has no keybed and is small, but will control the needed functions.  The Axiom61 will do both control functions and play sounds.  I think it depends on the Privia being needed or not.
Bernie

Lionel

Bernie,
The Privia has a great feel and has 88 keys. The abililty to play sounds via SD2 and its own sound bank. Also room to add another spilt so for example left section for chords, variation triggers,etc. while next section for say low oct instrument and a third section for oct up second instrument for immediate jump to.

I mean the Privia is great just lacking some midi controls. I tend to lean towards the Korg nanoKontrol thats if Dan can add the third input. And while he reads this another split point if not too much hasle.

Thanks
Lionel