News:

Version 1.20 is ready to download

Main Menu

How to use Yamaha styles

Started by OldStudentLeon, November 18, 2010, 09:00:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OldStudentLeon

All is not self evident to me. Please confirm how to use Yamaha styles. I searched the forum for threads on this subject but did not find any.

I noticed that the default styles are in the following folder on my system:

C:\User\vArranger2\vArranger2\vArrangerData\Styles\StylesROM1

This folder contains folders with names that correspond to the button names in the vArranger2 application.
(00)Unplugged
(01)Pop
(09)Ballroom

If I create a new folder calling it (10)PSR-S710, which has the following pathname:

C:\User\vArranger2\vArranger2\vArrangerData\Styles\StylesROM1\(10)PSR-S710

...and then run the application, I notice that a new button appears of the name PSR-S710.

When I download the PSR-S710 styles they are organized into folders of different genre categories. If I copy the folders into the folder that I just created:

... the stylenames to not appear in the application.

However, if I copy the styles themselves (not the folders) into the folder:

... then the stylenames appear in the application.

Is that how styles are used in vArranger2? By copying them into an appropriately named folder? Or, is there an "Open Styles" feature within the program that I have not yet discovered?

Thanks, Leon

Dan

On top of the Styles folder, there a LOAD button.
You can load a lot of things with it.
Ketron styles, Yamaha styles, Midifiles, Karaoke files, JPG sheetmusic, MP3...

You just bought the vArranger, so take time to look at everything in the screen, and ask us if you have questions.

I hope you enjoy your new purshase :)

Dan

OldStudentLeon

I apologize for asking such beginner questions. I know you think I am impatient and that I am not paying attention. I did notice the "Load" button immediately above the style category buttons. I noticed it very early on. When I first open the software I see it directly above the style genre button called "Unplugged". However, it is in a section of the interface that is labeled "My Songs". So, I thought it had to do with songs, not styles. Besides, when I click on the "Load" button, a file dialog box opens, a box that is obviously looking for a file. I thought the styles would be imported as an entire group, as it is in other music software that I have used, not as individual files.

When I downloaded the PSR-S710 and Tyros-3 styles, I received a large number of styles organized in folders with various genre names, like "Ballad", "Ballroom", etc. So, common sense told me that when the software would import these styles it would do so as a group, and that the entire group would appear as an additional button along the horizontal row of style genres. So I expected to see new buttons called "PSR-S710" and "Tyros-3". Then I expected that if I clicked on the PSR-S710 button for example all the buttons would change to a new row of buttons, each one corresponding to one of the folder names, like "Ballad, "Ballroom", etc. Then I expected that if I clicked on one of them I would see the names of the style in that genre appear in the vertical column of buttons at the left of the screen.

That would correspond to how a lot of other software that I have seen works.

When I realized that your "Open" button was looking for a file, not a folder containing a group of styles, it didn't seem appropriate for loading a style. So I did not use it. I thought that using it to load a style was clearly incorrect.

Anyway, I did try it, as you suggest, and I now understand that using the "Load" button I can open an individual style.

Is that how you intended the software to work? Are you providing to open just one individual style at a time? That seems very inconvenient for trying to match various styles with a particular musical piece. Wouldn't it be better to have the imported styles visible on buttons, the same way you provide for the styles that belong to your application?

Ironically, by copying the styles into a folder as I described in my opening message to this thread, your software did produce new buttons along the horizontal row. Indeed, the following screen shot shows the screen containing two extra buttons for "Tyros-3" and "PSR-S710". The "Tyros-3" button is selected and the vertical buttons at the left of the screen show button names of some of some Tyros-3 styles. I copied only one genre, called "Swing&Jazz". I was afraid to copy too many files.

http://www.box.net/shared/2p451d2ytj

Please view as well my file structure that caused it to happen:

http://www.box.net/shared/nnz1myk8iy

I suspect that although I have discovered how to cause your software to produce some new style buttons, you may not have intended that to happen. If so, please let me know. I want to use the software properly and I do not want to invite problems. Perhaps by loading files in the manner that I have done they will not work correctly?

I suspect that when you designed this application you thought that a single "Load" button on the screen without any explanation was sufficient for anyone to use your software. However, I respectfully suggest that my confusion over how I should use it might be typical for any experienced PC user looking at your software for the first time.

Leon

Lionel

Hi Leon,

There is no need to apologize for any questions whether simple or not, the idea of forums (This one at least) is to help people new, old, beginners, advanced or simply needs the extra guiding hand.

What you have done according to the screen shots is correct.

This is how I use vArranger.
For any new styles according to type or author, I copy the folder with styles straight into vArranger2\vArrangerData\Styles\StylesROM1

The main thing is the folder name is what appears on horizontal bar My Songs. The preface (01) determines the order left to right on My songs bar. If no preface the order is alphabetical after the (00),(01).

There are 2 purposes for My Songs bar that is a) for all styles you may have in vArranger2\vArrangerData\Styles\StylesROM1
                                                                          b) and / or all songs you may have in vArranger2\vArrangerData\Styles\StylesROM1

The songs are done as follow, create a folder name in vArranger2\vArrangerData\Styles\StylesROM1 (I just open explorer find vArranger folder, navigate to StylesROM1 and creat folder there)

for example folder Wedding- Love songs
Run vArranger, find the style to suit your song, select variation, Intro, set volumes, reverbs, chorus, pan, etc
Click on SAVE button, click on Song, rename song to whatever you want in Song Name textbox, select the folder created above (Wedding-Love songs) in Folder dropdown box, select any registration options you want saved with song (Generally all of them) then click SAVE.

When you click on Wedding-Love songs on My Songs bar you will see the song you saved on the left vertical bar. There does not appear to be a limit on songs in left bar or in My Songs bar, but this needs to be within reason, you don''t want 100-200 songs on any one button.

NOTE: Finding a style altering parameters and renaming does not alter orginal style, providing you simply rename it, and of course not the same name as any existing ones in that folder.

************ One Important thing is that the above does not yet work for Yamaha styles only Ketron styles, but this is very near to being done (Dan is busy on this feature)*********************

The LOAD button, as I use, is for example you have styles located outside of the vArranger2\vArrangerData\Styles\StylesROM1
folder and you want to play,listen to or whatever to these styles.

This applies to Midi files, MP3.

By the way you can put a folder on My Songs bar called MIDI Songs or whatever you like and select it and play any midi files from left side bar that is in that folder.

The search feature just above My Songs bar is simply that search for any song but on in vArranger2\vArrangerData\Styles\StylesROM1. You may have 100 folders in there and search will find what you type from in there.

Boy, I have said enough to sound like a teacher, but I am glad to help when and where needed.

Regards
Lionel

OldStudentLeon

Hello Lionel,
Nice to meet you. Thank you for the very detailed response. I appreciate it immensely. I now understand that copying material into the location where vArranger2 keeps it's styles when I first install the product is not just a trick that I accidentally discovered, but you actually intended for me to do that. And even more importantly, you intended for me to do it for Songs as well as Styles. The result is a user interface that I can easily customize to contain buttons that are conveniently located on the screen for any live performance. The key here is "convenience", which is an important factor under the pressure of live performance situations.

You say it even works for MIDI files! This is wonderful. If I understand you correctly, I can conveniently play one live performance by controlling the arranger auto accompaniment with the bass buttons of the accordion, and then at the click of a button play a second one against a previously recorded backing track. I will try out these various configurations very soon in order that I feel comfortable with them.

Thank you for giving me the confidence that I can freely copy as many styles, songs, and MIDI files as I wish into vArranger2\vArrangerData\Styles\StylesROM1 (within reason as you suggest) without causing instability in the software.

I regret that I do not speak French very well, and for that reason I might have realized all of this from the user manual that Dan sent me, or from the French speaking section of your forum. I do understand the user manual in principle, and I appreciate having it. Indeed, that was the final motivation for me to purchase the software. But I admit that my French is insufficient for me to pick up such details as you have given me in this message. I thank you very much for being a teacher, a very good teacher I must say.

Leon

Bernie9

Dan

Yes, vArranger is not a closed system, but more a full customisable interface.

You can add any file, styles, mp3, midifiles, karaoke, images... create folders and put your files on it... 
Just organise the files and folder like YOU think it's conveignant to use it for your own personal way.

The will be displayed on the buttons of the screen.

Note, there is a small label on the MY SONGS section called    'My Songs Folder..."   If you click on it, you will be directely on the vArranger folder, ready for the customisation.

Then click on Refresh.... to update the vArranger buttons, according to the files.

Just do some test, and you will understand.

Note, there is NO limitation of the number of folders, or files to be created. Don't be affraid. Todays computers are very high performances.

Dan