News:

Version 1.20 is ready to download

Main Menu

Problems with my new Yamaha MOXF6 and VArranger

Started by pimen007, May 08, 2014, 08:01:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pimen007

Hello everyone!

Recently I got home my new Yamaha MOXF6, but does not work well, sometimes "strange sounds" are heard in percussion or drums tracks and sometimes a pad or strings hold kept ringing and nonstop.
I tried different settings on MIDI OUT: GM, GM2, Yamaha Motif, but I do not appreciate differences. The tests made ​​with various styles of Yamaha Tyros
I must clarify that some styles sound good but there are many with problems.
Fortunately in my studio is always my dear old SD2 that never fails. 8) ;)

Is there any other user MOXF you can advise me? thanks

Regards:

Juan

Dan

pimen007

thank Dan!

Yes, the connection between PC and MIDI MOXF is via USB, I downloaded the latest drivers from Yamaha but I do not see a connection problem because some styles work well. Now that I think about it .... I have to check the settings on my midi MOXF, I think than it may need to change some parameter. :-\
If news'll let ...

By the way, what MIDI OUT settings you recommend? ? GM, GM2, MOTIF?

Thanks Dan for your quick response:
Juan

Dan

Maybe XG or MOTIF or GM2

Let me know one style who does not sound well

pimen007

OK Dan,

I checked the MIDI settings, but found nothing relevant. I also tried with conventional MIDI cable (NOT USB) and the result is the same ... :(

I appreciate these problems in some styles:

Notes that sound kept permanently (Pads, choirs ...) .... Example:. "Country8Beat" and "CountryBallad"
Percusiom track with sounds that do not correspond (congas sound as Kikcs, other percussion sounds are replaced by pianos ...) .... Example: "BoleroLento"
Some backing tracks played 2 octaves lower .... Example: "00BoyBand"

Yet there are other styles that sound good, when I can I'll upload some video demonstration  ;)

BjayG

Hi Juan,

I don't know if this is of any help as I am not familiar with the MOXF6 but I do have an older Motif XS8 and have experienced similar problems when using midi files externally and using the XS8 as a sound generator.

The problem I had was that the sounds sounded weird unless I switched the Motif into GM mode.  The reason being that the midi program change messages of the sounds of the Motif do not conform to the normal GM standard as it's a synth - not a GM device.   So in my case I had to put the Motif into Song Mode and  then initialise the sound bank to a GM set using the JOB function  (I think that's what I did anyway) and then the midi files worked correctly.  I have never checked, but I would not be surprised if the non-GM drum sets would also not conform to the expected GM layout and thus produce weird sounds.

Anyway - I have no idea if a similar thing is happening in your case - but it's worth mentioning in case it gives you some ideas.

Cheers
Barry

pimen007

Thanks Barry .

My problem is similar to yours, so the XS8 as MOXF have a GM Bank, but both keyboards are not specific GM players , that are synths for other uses. My insistence is that I know the MOXF shares many sounds with the latest versions of popular Tyros would be very interesting to hear VArranger Tyros styles with these sounds ... :P

Either way I am very happy with my MOXF6 for its sound quality, versatility and good integration with Cubase DAW, I did not buy the MOXF for use with VArranger .

A curiosity .... The GM bank sounds are much MOXF quality Ketron SD2 sounds but when you hear them one by one, when you hear the midi file SD2 sounds better most times , it is clear that the SD2 was designed as a good GM player despite having many years also does not give problems with program changes .

Possibly if the MOX MOXF or MOTIF XF users extend our Dan will consider this case study ..... ;D

Regards :

Juan

Dan

I have just checked.
You think that the note stay always on, because the release time is changed inside the style. (Look at the SOUND EDIT screen)
I have to check this a little bit more.
Have corrected the octaves too, but they still sound strange on some styles, so I will check more tomorrow.
You Motif does not have any problem...

pimen007

Dan

In the recent versions, I have improved the Tyros 4/5 engine, so the voices sounds better.
Did not changed the release time of Yamaha VS Ketron yet.
I just send you an update.

KristianD

I am thinking about buying a moxf6, but was there any solution on the things mentioned above and is there anyone with good experience on mofx6  :) ? i like the sound of it on the demos  ;)