News:

Version 1.20 is ready to download

Main Menu

Need advice on Ketron sound modules.

Started by Denv12, January 04, 2014, 01:28:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Denv12

Hi.I just joined here.I'm looking to buy a new sound module when I found the Ketron rang of modules,etc.I  would like some feedback on what they are like.If you have either the SD2,SD4,SD1000 could please tell me if they can be connected straight into a digital piano ? I have a Roland RD700SX.I would like to know if I need to buy a computer/ipad,etc to go with it? My budget is limited so I'm looking at the various brands.

Dan

Do you need to play styles / rythmes or only play sounds with your keyboard?

Vlzmusic

Hi Denv!

I have SD1000 for a few months now,  and I am sooo frustrated..... not having enough spare time to spend with him!!! :)

I come from a big-names-vsti-stuff-vsl-ew background, but modules and workstations were my childhood fascination, so they still have  a warm place in my heart  -  and now the sd1000.  As a sound module, I find it ridiculously good. Ketron have found a great "sound" for the MIDI domain.  Since I got to know Ketron, I just cannot relate to somewhat "plasticky" stuff from Roland and Yamaha..

BTW  - is it me,  or the new Tyros 5 demos sound... just ordinary?  Am I nuts, or my beloved SD1000 gives a fine and natural  sounding alternative for fraction of the price?!...

--- Now, to answer your question --- 

You need to feed the module with some MIDI data - one option is by USB cable (I connect mine to a PC, and run different software which sends the notes - vArranger, Cubase, Sibelius)
The second option is plain MIDI in connection, I guess its more about external instruments, you mentioned you have one,  and I am almost certain USB won`t go, cause it needs a "host\client" relationship.  With a plain MIDI cable you`ll be fine playing whatever your keyboard sends out.

gemuesemusiker

Hello Denv.
the SD4 is the only soundmodule you have written you can work without any PC.
You need only a normal Midicable. You can download the manual by Ketron.
Regards
Rainer

Vlzmusic

Not sure what the previous poster meant by that,  but of course SD1000 doesn`t need any PC for its operation per se.  It gets MIDI, gives sound, thats all.  Now, if you run musical software, you connect the USB to transmit the MIDI data -  and that`s it.  In case you are wondering, the power is external adapter anyway.

Denv12

Quote from: Vlzmusic on January 10, 2014, 10:22:04 PM
Hi Denv!

I have SD1000 for a few months now,  and I am sooo frustrated..... not having enough spare time to spend with him!!! :)

I come from a big-names-vsti-stuff-vsl-ew background, but modules and workstations were my childhood fascination, so they still have  a warm place in my heart  -  and now the sd1000.  As a sound module, I find it ridiculously good. Ketron have found a great "sound" for the MIDI domain.  Since I got to know Ketron, I just cannot relate to somewhat "plasticky" stuff from Roland and Yamaha..

BTW  - is it me,  or the new Tyros 5 demos sound... just ordinary?  Am I nuts, or my beloved SD1000 gives a fine and natural  sounding alternative for fraction of the price?!...

--- Now, to answer your question --- 

You need to feed the module with some MIDI data - one option is by USB cable (I connect mine to a PC, and run different software which sends the notes - vArranger, Cubase, Sibelius)
The second option is plain MIDI in connection, I guess its more about external instruments, you mentioned you have one,  and I am almost certain USB won`t go, cause it needs a "host\client" relationship.  With a plain MIDI cable you`ll be fine playing whatever your keyboard sends out.

Hi Vlzmusic.
I got the time so I want to have some fun with the SD2.I'm learning.Took some getting used to by this point.I though a module had 2 MIDI cables between module and piano.And,the RCA to amp was a new thing to me.

I've been thinking about the SD1000.Is it better than the SD2?
I can connect piano to SD2 no problems there.Thats the external instruments.
What about Sd2 to computer? Should it also be hooked up to the piano as well? I havent got room for computer and piano in the same room.PC is in the bedroom.Desktop not laptop.I'm in a 2 bedroom apartment.

The midi software,now this is what I need to sort out.Should I download a software? Are there free ones?

Denv12

Quote from: Dan on January 04, 2014, 10:13:18 PM
Do you need to play styles / rythmes or only play sounds with your keyboard?

Hi Dan.

On the Roland before I had the SD2 I always picked out 4 sounds and the drums and played my songs.Right now I'm just trying to learn the SD2 and all its sounds.Once I get familiar with it then I'll do the 4 sounds and drums with it.

I was after the electric pianos like in your SD1000 demo.They are the best I've ever heard.I dont think I've got them all on the SD2.Would that be right?

Dan

Yes with SD1000 electric pianos we hear more tines. SD2 are more soft

Denv12

Thanks Dan.

Is that a typo? tines? So,the SD1000 has more tones of electric pianos? Every time i listen to your youtube vidoe I just love those beautiful electric pianos sounds.And,those songs too are just made for the electric piano sounds.What are those songs?

Thanks again.

Chris.

Dan

They are improvisations.
If you love this sound... buy a SD1000, and tell to Ketron to say thanks to Dan
You can maybe sell your SD2 to someone here in the forum

Dan

Denv12

Quote from: Dan on February 03, 2014, 10:23:50 PM
They are improvisations.
If you love this sound... buy a SD1000, and tell to Ketron to say thanks to Dan
You can maybe sell your SD2 to someone here in the forum

Dan

Hi Dan.

Thank you so much for your good advice.I will tell Ketron about you.You are what they need.I want the SD1000.I should sell the Sd2 here.If I could find someone in Australia would be good.Do I just start a new post to sell it?

Kind regards

Chris.

Dan

Don't tell to Ketron, It was a joke :)

Denv12

Denv12

Just an update to my original post:
Today I received my new Ketron SD1000 sound module.Bought it in Sydney,Australia.(I live in Adelaide).
I specifically bought it for the electric piano sounds.Oneday I'll learn to use software for that side of it.
I hooked it up by running the dual RCA's L-R to amp.
MIDI In (module) to Piano Out (piano).
It has a red light instead of the blue light as on the Ketron SD2.

Dan

pax_eterna

Quote from: Denv12 on March 18, 2014, 07:29:29 AM
Just an update to my original post:
Today I received my new Ketron SD1000 sound module.Bought it in Sydney,Australia.(I live in Adelaide).
I specifically bought it for the electric piano sounds.Oneday I'll learn to use software for that side of it.
I hooked it up by running the dual RCA's L-R to amp.
MIDI In (module) to Piano Out (piano).
It has a red light instead of the blue light as on the Ketron SD2.

If I may ask, how much did you pay for it?