News:

Version 1.20 is ready to download

Main Menu

Save Song disabled when using a smf

Started by pax_eterna, October 26, 2013, 07:53:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pax_eterna

Just checking to see if this is normal program operation or not...I have a midi file loaded, and I have tweaked some things, however when I click on SAVE all that is available is to save the StartUp Config - the other options are "greyed" out.

Thanks

Dan

Yes, there is no SAVE midifile feature yet

pax_eterna

Okay thanks - I was hoping to use the SD2 editing capability of vA to edit midi files (for sysex - effects etc etc) as there is no PC editors for the SD2. Then to save it to the midi. Any idea if it can be added and what sort of time it would take to add this capability Dan?

Dan

I am still not sure if the SAVE midifile feature will modify the original midifile, or simply add a second file .MID2 to write modifications for vArranger only, as I did for style.

pax_eterna

Ahh okay...perhaps even an export would work, although thinking about it , I cannot see why the data in the 2nd midi file (.mid2) could not be imported into say, Sonar, added the to original midi and then re-saved?

What do you think?

Dan

The 2 file is not a midifile. Only a file where vArranger saves the volumes of each track, etc...

pax_eterna

Okay got that, but would it not also save the sysex data created when editing the efx and other sound edit data? I mean it MUST be generating it for vA to be able to actually make the changes on an SD2, yes?

Dan

No, he will save something like Use Reverb n°2, and vArranger will translate this into SYSEX at realtime.

pax_eterna

I was more talking about distortion/overdrive effects and sound mods -

But still,  even though vA is using them live it MUST store this data somewhere to use it again when the song is loaded at another time...or are you saying the editing is ONLY in real-time and does not last past the current session?

pax_eterna

There was a PC editor years ago called SD Edit Gold Plus or something like that for the SD1 - but I cannot find it now :(  (and then your own MSP Editor ;) )

pax_eterna

*bump* for this unanswered question:

I was more talking about distortion/overdrive effects and sound mods -

But still,  even though vA is using them live it MUST store this data somewhere to use it again when the song is loaded at another time...or are you saying the editing is ONLY in real-time and does not last past the current session?

Dan

If you use the Disto on the SD2, you will loose the reverb, and the sound will be very bad.
Still want to use it? :)

pax_eterna

This was the question Dan, which you may have missed again...

But still,  even though vA is using them (SD2 edits and tweaks) live it MUST store this data (sysex) somewhere to use it again when the song is loaded at another time...or are you saying the editing is ONLY in real-time and does not last past the current session?

Yes if using the rev as an insert, but the SD2 can use rev/cho as system effects while allowing a user to use one insert effect...when I was mucking around with the SD2 and vA the other day I was using the distortion effect, but still had overall rev - maybe I imagined it.

Dan

pax_eterna

Quote from: Dan on October 28, 2013, 04:59:11 PM
i think, You had a dream  :D

Now I am thinking you are deliberately ignoring the question  ;) - the question again...

But still,  even though vA is using them (SD2 edits and tweaks) live it MUST store this data (sysex) somewhere to use it again when the song is loaded at another time...or are you saying the editing is ONLY in real-time and does not last past the current session?

Can you answer this above question please?

And as for the dream, well I am not so sure  ;D - but I have asked elsewhere about it, so I will wait on that reply.

And in any case there is always the option of using insert effect #8 which is a combo distortion/delay/chorus and if the delay rate is set high enough it emulates reverb.

Now, the SD1 had overall system effects (Rev+ Chorus) and insert effects - distortion, delay, leslies etc etc and one could set an insert on a part by part basis, with the system effects applying to the total end output. AFAIK, the SD2 engine is VERY similar.

In fact reading the sysex documentation for the SD2 (page 44 of the manual) could certainly lead one to believe that it is the same with the SD2.

Dan

About the Delay + Disto : On the SD1 yes, on the SD2 no.

I don't store the sysex, I store the value.

The new vArranger Synth will be able to load 4GB of samples.

I will also add soon delay + disto effects

pax_eterna

Okay thanks Dan - that answers it perfectly. I am only asking so I can properly define the vA setup methodology in my head for possible future use live. (at this stage it is still not my "live" rig) . But I do still keep messing with it from time to time.

Cheers
Dennis