News:

Version 1.20 is ready to download

Main Menu

Q for Dan re Surface Pro

Started by pax_eterna, October 01, 2013, 05:23:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pax_eterna

Dan, I am considering buying a Surface Pro 128gig, I wonder if you could pass on your experiences with it? Reliability, build quality running audio, running vA etc etc, you know what I mean :)

Thanks

Dennis

Dan

I have it.
Simply perfect !!!
Very reliable, good build quality
Running vArranger perfectly

I have not tested ASIO on it... only my soundfont synth with internal phones wasapi out.

The only thing to concider is the size of the screen

Surface Pro 2 will be released soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=jIsgByHf_6w

pax_eterna

Thanks Dan - If the surface 2 has a larger screen I might hold off..Although I might just see if I can find some info re the 2 before jumping in on the one.

Dennis

pax_eterna

Just been checking what I can find on the 2 - seems not a lot is different apart from bigger storage and 8 gig of RAM (only wiht the 512 gig hard drive model) Screen size is the same, connections are the same, although it does now have a native docking station.

I am looking at $700 (Aussie) for this unit - about 480 euros, so I am not sure if it is a good deal or not. But the seller assures me it has had less than 20 hours use and is in "out of the box" condition...might have to think some more. Although I do need to replace my ageing Portege M780.

pax_eterna

Dan, what is the audio quality like from the headphone socket and using the WASapi drivers?

Would it be the equivalent of an iPad?

I am using a dedicated firewire interface (Presonus) with the Portege and I know a headphone socket and wasapi is not as good, but is it passable for live P.A. purposes?

Dan

I just played with the Surface Pro. (on battery, powering the usb keyboard) It is amazing !
I started vArranger with a soundfont of 2GB, and ot took only 10 seconds to load.
I played 3 hours without any problems.
The sound of the headphone is good enough with the WASAPI drivers. So you don't need to install anything.
Just run vArranger and play music !

Did'nt tested it on a live gig with soundfonts yet...

jan1kow

surface only appears to have one USB port?
jon

pax_eterna

Yes, even the Model 2 still only has the one USB 3 port, although it is a full sized port. Apparently the 2 also will have a native docking station option.

pax_eterna

Dan,

As the pricing of the Surface Pro 1 has dropped (with the release of gen 2) I was wondering how your experience is going with your Surface Pro gen 1? It has been a bit longer now, and I would like to get your views (pros and cons please) on it as I am now seriously considering buying one as it has come into my "price orbit" ;)

Thanks
Dennis

Dan

pax_eterna

okay Dan, that'll do me :)

Cheers

Dennis

stewbow

Are you using it with an SD2, or the virtual synth.
Does it have enough power to run VST's

Stuart

Dan

I use it with SD2 and the vArranger virtual synth.
I have 2 GB of samples and vArranger take only 5 seconds to start, thanks to the SSD
The i5 inside is fast enough for VST, but for now, I don't want to install to much big VST, because it has only 128 GB SSD.
I will select only the best VST

pax_eterna

I am looking at an Iconia W700S as a possible alternative, a good price too, but if it does not pan out I will stick with the SP

stewbow

Dan
You say you have 2gig of samples, how are they loaded in?

Dan

If you put SF2 (soundfonts) samples files into the \vArrangerData\Sounds\SAMPLES\ folder, they will be loaded at startup, and played by the vArranger software Synth (that you select on the Midi out)

stewbow

What sound fonts are you using?

Dan

Someone sampled some synth like Ketron Audya, etc... and sent me to test...
It start to sounds good :)

pax_eterna

Hey Dan I went for the Surface Pro in the end...It should arrive in a few days. The Iconia W700 looked okay (albeit about $300 more) but in the end I settled for the Pro as it is smaller is pretty much the same sort of specs (although the BIGGIE was it had no Memory Card slot!!)  and will sit nicely next to the iPad on the stand in the live show setup.

Thanks again for your thoughts.

Dennis

Dan

Yes it is so nice :) Congratulation...

stewbow

Could you use the micrio sdxc card to store VST libraries,

Dan

Yes surely.
Not sure about the speed of the sdxc card

stewbow

I've just ordered a SP 1, 128 gig, will be here on Monday.
This project is now officially my 2nd most expensive hobby ever.
Number 1 was a 1964 Lambretta, I could have dug a hole and thrown £20 notes down it all day and it would cost me less.

Stuart

Dan

Congratulation...

I think you become addict to vArranger and VST :)