News:

Version 1.20 is ready to download

Main Menu

NEW : GENERAL MIDI (GM2) MODE

Started by Dan, October 12, 2010, 01:40:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan

Hi,

I just open this topic to talk about the integration of the other modules than Ketron powerd by the vArranger engine.

This is a very asked feature.

To do that , I added on the Modules choices, after KETRON SD2 and KETRON SD4, a new mode called GM2.

This because most of the new modules that gone out thoses last years are GM2 (general midi 2) compatible.

This new mode, will allow vArranger to adapt the outgoing midi stream to the GM2 modules.

For now, the only difference is that you can manually access all the GM2 sounds.

But on the next versions, the compatibility will increase.

Of course, for ketron SD2/SD4 owners, this is good, because you can now take with you, another sound module, and play some sounds from the other modules, or mix sounds from the 2 modules together.

Note that the VST Edirol HQ-GM2 Hyper Canvas is also a virtual GM2 sound module.

Let's talk about it.

Dan

Dan

Hi !!

A good news for the next version :

If you select the GM2 mode, then all the guitar and bass noises that were playing on the extreme top of the keyboard will be removed.

Those noises add some realism to the guitar and bass sounds, but if you don't have a ketron module, they will sound very bad.

Dan

Lionel

Hi Dan,
Yes I have noticed that. I am using Garitan JABB3 and was getting some unusal sounds.

I am still experimenting with different options to date.

I believe my SD2 crash of late is related to using Yamaha styles, I made sure I had SD2 set whether I used it on
Output 1 or tried output2.

I found that with using Garritan JABB3 I could route the midi out from SD4 into JABB3, that means I had SD4 Output 1, SD2 output 2 and JABB3 had midi out from SD4 (Not using midi cable just internal selection). That was 3 modules for sound output.

Lionel

rikkisbears

Hi Dan,
does this mean you can use a software GM synth connected by virtual midi cables?
I'd luv to be able to use my soundfonts via a standalone sample player like SampleLord.

best wishes
Rikki

Dan

Hi Rikkisbears,

Yes exact, you can plug your midi out to a software GM synth with a virtual midi cable. I already tried the Edirol HyperCanvas, and it is working.

What about SampleLord. Is it stabe, no latency and can react to the program/bank changes?

Dan

rikkisbears

Hi Dan,
you can actually download a working version of Sample Lord from the site. It has fade outs as protection.

I'm finding it brilliant. It's not designed for running Win7 yet, but it appears to be working well in mine. I'm running Home Edition with an i7  processor.
I use it in conjunction with  Midi Yoke  ( my vitual midi cable) . It only works in 32 bit mode  not in 64 bit.
Sample Lord loads soundfont banks,  it plays giga samples plus another number of formats. I mainly use GM Soundfont Banks. They respond to bank & program changes just like a GM sound module. Currently I'm trying to get an XG Bank put together  for my psr styles.

Unfortunately HyperCanvas won't run in my pc. In the way of softsynths, there's  nothing much else that does the required Bank & Program changes. The only other one's I've come across are DXI's & VSTi's which need a host.

best wishes
Rikki

Quote from: Dan on October 18, 2010, 02:00:00 AM
Hi Rikkisbears,

Yes exact, you can plug your midi out to a software GM synth with a virtual midi cable. I already tried the Edirol HyperCanvas, and it is working.

What about SampleLord. Is it stabe, no latency and can react to the program/bank changes?

Dan

Dan

If the software have a reverb, chorus, and reacts good to some other midi controllers. It's better :)