News:

Version 1.20 is ready to download

Main Menu

varranger with korg Kronos

Started by sl72, August 06, 2013, 06:21:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sl72

Hi.
Found this while i was reading about arrangers. I used to have arrangers liket Yamaha Tyros og and Korg Pa2x.
Now i use a Korg kronos 88 key. Can I use it as an sound module for varranger? Can i dedicate buttons on it for control of intros, fills and so on.
Can I use all the nine differet sound engins in Kronos?

Regards
Stian

4partmusic

Will do my best to answer:

Now i use a Korg kronos 88 key. Can I use it as an sound module for varranger? --If it has midi capabilities through 5 pin din or USB you should be able to use it. It might not work right out of the box as you will have to assign the sounds from the Korg in the program. Basically this is like assigning an external instrument in a DAW.   I can tell you I tested it on my Korg M3 and was able to get some pretty decent sounds without a lot of work.  The software is optimized however for the Ketron Sound Modules. [/b]

Can i dedicate buttons on it for control of intros, fills and so on. -If the buttons can be programmed to send controller messages then yes you can use it.  Varranger has a controller page where you select the function like Intro 1, 2  or Arranger style 1, 2, 3, 4 and then select the button that you want to control that function.  It will capture the controller message and that should be all you need to do. 

Can I use all the nine differet sound engins in Kronos? This one I am not 100% sure about.  The software does allow you to load .ins files for various instruments if you have one and then program the various channels to select those sounds.  Do the 9 different engines function as separate sound modules or are they in banks?

I know Dan the developer can answer more confidently.  He is travelling the next couple of weeks so I am not sure his access and availability to answer questions so don't get discouraged if you do not get an immediate answer. When he is at home he normally answers in 24 hours or less.

Very interesting software with quite a bit of flexibility and great support. Definitely worth your time to read some of the comments on the forum.

Thanks,
Terry

sl72

Hi Terry.
Thanks for for your reply.
How long have you been using this software? Have you had any major trouble?
Regards
Stian

4partmusic

Stian,

I have been using it a little over a year.  Most of my issues have been me not understanding something.  Dan has always been patient in helping me work through those.  I did recently have a problem getting things to work when moving from my main computer to a laptop.  It turned out to be that I was running three different USB devices and the power option on my computer was not allowing the USB's to work properly.  Once Dan gave me the links on how to change the power settings it works perfectly. 

There are several members here that gig with the software on a regular basis so maybe they can chime in and give their opinions.

Thanks,

Terry

Bachus

How is the soundquallity of styles on the Kronos?   Do you use the GM soundset?

Bachus

Quote from: Tidom on March 22, 2015, 01:32:45 PM

L72 Hello!
I use since 2010 in ballrooms for people a little older. I accompany with:
1) my guitar MIDI GK2 => AXON
2 Midi Guitar Controller YAMAHA G10
Both => Edirol UMG2 => EEPC => varranger2 => Ketron SD2
I accompany an accordionist with saxophone and I sing too.
Now vArranger2 is very stable.
But you have to configure the computer in "maximum performance".
Personally sounds are still those of Ketron SD2.
That is enough for me and it is very very good.
I am very happy!

How does this answer relate to the Korg Kronos?

Tidom

lee

As far as I know...the Korg Kronos does not have any styles per se.
The real question is how does it sound with vA2 using it as a sound engine/module for styles (We know the sounds using the right hand as it will be regular Kronos sounds).
Lee