News:

Version 1.20 is ready to download

Main Menu

Varranger, Triple Play and Midi Buddy SUCCESS

Started by 4partmusic, August 02, 2013, 02:18:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

4partmusic

I finally have everything working together with Triple Play as of tonight.  Using some USB settings Dan found me to make sure the system was not turning off USB to preserve power and using an M-audio 2 X 2 interface. 

I now have three things plugged into my computer.

1. The Varranger thumb drive.
2 The M-Audio 2 X 2 - It provides A & B midi outs and ins through a USB cable.
3. The Fishman Triple Play Wireless USB receiver

The set up in Midi Port Select is as follows.

Midi in
Midi 1 - Fishman Triple Play
Midi 2 Midisport 2 X 2 In B- This is where the Midi Buddy Footpedal is hooked up to.

Midi Out
Midi 1 Midisport 2X2 Out A - Midi Out drop down set to Ketron SD4
Midi 2 Midisport 2X2 Out B - Don't think I need it but I am not fooling with it now that I have it working.

I haven't set up every option yet as the Midi Buddy has 10 buttons and then you have I think 4 Banks.  I did set up Arranger 1,2,3,4 and Ending 2.  All worked perfectly.

My only tweaking I need to do now is the threshold.  I am noticing that Varranger is having a really hard time recognizing the D chord.  Not sure if this is my playing style or what.  I will have to experiment with that.

Anyway if anyone else is looking for a set up for midi guitar with Varranger this seems to work.  M-Audio doesn't sell the Midi Sport 2X2 anymore.  Instead they have the 2X2 Anniversary addition.  It works the same.  About the size of a deck of cards but a little thicker.

Thanks,

Terry

jbg31792

Congratulations Terry,

I can sense the excitement in your post.

As you now have control over the vArranger functions with the Midi Buddy, are you able to trigger the Triple Play HOLD feature with the Midi Buddy and switch between LOOP, HOLD, SUSTAIN as you switch guitar presets; and, able to play the SYNTH sounds together with Guitar Rig 5?

Thanks,

John

4partmusic

John,

I have not tried that yet.  Just so I am clear you are trying to run the Triple Play software and play it along with the Varranger.  Is that what you are trying to accomplish.  So you would want the Triple Play software running so that you can play VST type instruments as well as have Varranger follow the chord patters you are playing.  Am I understanding that correctly?

I think you have spent more time with the actual Triple Play software than I have.  Most of the time I am just using it to make sure my tuning is calibrated but have not been running it in conjunction with Varranger.  May have to come back to you and ask some more questions.  I hope to get to play with it a little more this weekend.
Thanks,

Terry

jbg31792

Hey Terry,

Yes, I'm trying to play the Triple Play software and use their Guitar Rig 5, which requires me to be connected with a guitar cable to an input channel on my mixer, as I'm not using a guitar amp. And access the SYNTH sounds in the SYNTH channels, and the PEDAL channel which can also contain SYNTH sounds. And, to control the PEDAL channel with the midi foot controller. This would give me control of the HOLD, LOOP functions. I don't really think the LOOPER has much benefit as it is extremely limited in what it can do. Kind of like trying to use the 4 switch tonality pedal with the MidJay Plus. You press a minor chord and you never know for sure if the tonality pedal is going to trigger the minor chord or not-which is unacceptable. However, the tonality pedal works perfectly with the old modules prior MS 4, SD1, SD1 Plus.
But anyway, the HOLD function is something I can envision using a lot with the synths sounds, and playing over these HOLDing SYNTH sounds with the
guitar Rig 5 presets is exciting.
I can get my Mastermind GT to control all of the vArranger controls, and I can control the Guitar Rig 5 presets with the Triple Play running.
BUT THE PROBLEM IS THAT I DON'T HAVE ACCESS TO THE SYNTH SOUNDS AND THE PEDAL FUNCTION FROM TRIPLE PLAY at the same time that the vArranger is running. I can control the Triple Play with the Mastermind if the vArranger is not running.
I'm patiently waiting for Ron Minelli the developer to find a solution.

I have recently purchased the Boomerang Phase 3 Looper and am very impressed what possibilities it opens.

Yes, I want the Triple Play Midi guitar to control the Style chords of the  vArranger while playing in the background with the vArranger showing on the screen of the laptop.

And basically, all I really need to control from the midi foot controller for the Triple Play is the HOLD function. All of the Triple Play guitar presets for Guitar Rig 5 can be controlled with the TP controller on the guitar.

But it is quicker to have about 6 Triple Play guitar presets assigned to the midi foot controller than trying to switch from preset 6 to preset 1 using the controller on the guitar.

Isn't it great to hear all these guitar chords being recognized by the vArranger.

Thanks,

John