Making old 1/4" jack plug pedals work with USB in vArranger

Started by jan1kow, May 29, 2011, 05:37:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jan1kow

(Part one)
Making old 1/4" jack plug foot switch pedals and volume/expression pedals work with USB for vArranger.

I wanted to use my old original foot pedals set-up work the same way as they did with my Solton MS40 and Ketron SD3.
There are expensive USB pedal units available bit the layout is not to my needs and they also do too many other functions that I do not need at present. 
I have not seen any combined USB switch/volume pedal units that I can use "blind" without the need to look around the floor for their whereabouts as they tend to move around the floor after using them several times. I have also found that ready made USB switch and volume pedal units are not positioned in a layout that I can be sure that I will be pressing the correct pedals without looking at them which is not possible with an accordion on your knees. Common problems are the space between switches or pedals being set too close together, one switch directly above the other switch and the entire pedal unit moving its position on the floor.
I had to find a way of making old pedals with 1/4" jack plugs now work as USB pedals with vArranger.
Basically I kept the amount of pedals needed to a minimum for size and practical ease of use when playing my accordion and SD2 with vArranger using Ketron and Yamaha patterns/styles. To do this in live performance I need two volume pedals, one for the vArranger Style and one for vArranger Right.
This way I can balance the volumes between the Styles accompaniments and the Right used for lead melody solo or accompanying vocals on right hand playing.   
I see many non vArranger keyboard players needing to use 2 keyboards to achieve this set up. Typically a Ketron keyboard for style accompaniments and a Korg keyboard on top for Right hand solo and vocal accompanyment.
With keeping my switch pedals to only two pedals I still  need to have a choice of Style Drum Fills 1, 2, 3 and 4/break and Endings 1, 2, 3 and 4 which would need 8 switch pedals. Now this is possible with the new (v1.11) vArranger ASSIGNABLE CONTROLLER feature which allows you to assign the pedal controllers. I will explain how I do this in part 2 later this week.
I have grouped my (Style) volume pedal, fill and ending switch pedals together securing all 3 pedals onto a wooden base shaped which stays in the same position on the floor for the entire performance. 

To make the old jack plug pedal units work with vArranger I bought two USB Logidy UMI-3 foot switch controllers http://www.logidy.com/?pid=0
They only supply direct from USA so UK import tax is payable which doubles the cost but I think they are still inexpensive for their purposes. They are good strong made metal units but the switches are too close and the optional volume pedal would need to be separate. They also have an input to accept one volume pedal by plugging your old volume pedal 1/4" jack into the back of the Logidy unit. The Logidy units are also powered by USB cable and have a small yellow activity LED light. Luckily the Logidy units internal green circuit board is small enough (approx. 5x5cm) to remove and refit inside your old volume pedals as I have  done. Either to make a pedal board layout specific to your needs or to eliminated the need for additional USB controller units needing connected to old pedals.
To make the Analogue to USB pedal conversion you carefully remove the green Logidy curcuit board from its black steel case by snipping the wires to seperat them from their switched and reconnect your own switch pedal wires accordingly and refitting the pcb into free space inside your old volume pedal. You can also extend the yellow led wires to use in the ¼ "jack volume pedal units. The Logidy volume pedal input forms part of the green circuit board so you do not need to change anything here. You could also permanently re-connect your old volume pedal wires internally by soldering the wired from the potentiometer directly onto the green Logidy expression pedal input plug. but I have chosen to use the external input from the original Logidy 1/4" jack pug input from my volume pedal (see pictures). Now you have your old 1/4" pedals and switches that work with USB and no additional controller units to carry and connect.

My left foot permanently rests/presses onto the centre of the wooden base which stops any movement keeping the entire units position on the floor. I simply place my foot onto the Style volume pedal before I start playing a Style. Start a style and adjust the pedal to the required volume needed, place my foot into the middle of my home made wooden pedal base being ready to press the fills switch pedal as needed throughout the style playing. The main advantage is that I can keep my foot/heel on the ground always in the same place and simply lift my toes to the right to press the fills switch pedal throughout the song as many times needed and always accurately as the pedal unit does not move position. For the ending I simply lift my foot forward and press the switch pedal to trigger an ending. The second volume pedal is separate allowing use with my right foot. I have not found a need to attach any switch pedals to this unit but for both units up to 3 switch pedals can be achieved making a total of 2 volume pedals and 6 switch pedals if needed.

To follow (Part two)
Setting up vArrangers new assignable controllers feature with old 1/4" jack plug foot pedals.
This allows same switch pedal to have different functions/controls depending on the song they are saved to.
So in one style/song the switch pedal triggers the ending 1 and on another style/song the same switch pedal triggers ending 3.
No need for two pedals needing to be dedicated to only one function each when one pedal will do the two functions. 

Dan

Hi Jon,

Thank you for sharing your custom made USB pedal board to control vArranger.

I am sure that this will give ideas to some other musicians.

Dan