NEED ADVICE CHOOSING A COMPATIBLE 10" MONITOR FOR VARRANGER

Started by jbg31792, April 16, 2014, 02:26:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbg31792

I'm using a 13" MacBook Pro 10.6 Snow Leopard, w/ Windows 7 partitioned on the HD, to display vArranger.

I need a separate monitor to view musical score notes, lyrics and chords. The distance between my eyes and the monitor is about 24".

Could someone please tell me what light weight 10" monitor would you recommend that could be adapted to a mike stand , and if it's usb powered or AC plug in?

Should I to stay with Apple, or is Android a possibility?

Thanks for your help,

John   

jbg31792

Thanks Juan,

I checked out the CE-FCC-ROH-LCD 10.1" monitor, great price.

I've decided to spend the extra money, $399.00, and go with the ipad 4th generation retina display w/wi-fi and 16GB.

With the ipad app AIR DISPLAY 2, for $9.99, it allows the ipad to be used as a monitor for the Mac Book, also works on Windows as well.

Can someone assure me before I order the ipad that it is compatible with the vArranger2?

Thanks,

John

jbg31792

Specifically, can someone assure me that the vArranger can automatically load the lyrics and music scores onto the i-pad monitor every time I enter a SONG CHORD name, and "ONLY" display those lyrics or music notes on to the i-pad monitor and not on the laptop?

Many thanks,

John

pimen007

".....Can someone assure me before I order the ipad that it is compatible with the vArranger2?"

Hi John,
this answer should give it to you Dan, but is now enjoying a well deserved vacation  ;)

Still, I'm pretty sure it  that Varranger2 only works on Windows.

jbg31792

I agree, he is surely deserving a well earned vacation. It might be the only sleep he'll get all year.

I've got Windows 7 partitioned on my Mack Book HD, and I run vArranger from there.

Thanks for the input,

John

Dan

It should be possible to use your iPad as a second screen for windows, and put your scores here.
I have an iPad 2, I will test it when I go back home.

jbg31792

Hello Dan,

Welcome back.

I went ahead & ordered the ipad air, which comes with a retina display. It will be here tomorrow.

The Air Display 2 App, for $9.99, allows the ipad to be used as a monitor to my macBook.

I can hardly wait to step into the world of entering a Song Chord on vArranger in Windows 7 on my Mac, and at the same time see the lyrics and scores pop up on the ipad air.

Thanks,

John

Dan

I have tried another app :
Splashtop Extended Wireless Display 2 Free

It works very well to use my iPad or Android tablet as a second monitor for my windows laptop, and it can be used as a touch screen too !
The scores are well displayed on the iPad when I load my songs.

One big problem : We need to install a program on the PC called "streamer", but on my laptop it take almost 100% of CPU !
I have read that here is a trick to lower the refresh rate of the screen in the windows registry...

jbg31792

Hi Dan,

I wonder if the AIR DISPLAY 2 app would be better for you than the Splashtop Extended Wireless Display?

The Air Display 2 can be used to connect the host computer with the client both wirelessly, and when there is no wireless connection.

Hopefully, the Air Display 2 would consume less CPU on your computer than the Splashtop app.

I've down loaded the Air Display 2 to my ipad air, and the free drivers to windows 7 side of my mac, but need a little more time to: "launch air display on your extra screen device (ipad), then connect in the air display menu on your computer."

Thanks,

John

Dan

You need to install the air display PC sofware first
Run the Air Display app on your iPad, and then run the air display pc software and clic on on connect

Dan

For people who downloaded vArranger since April 10th, there was a small bug with chord transition between chords on yamaha styles.
So please download vArranger again.

Dan

jbg31792

Dan,

Avatron tech support explained that the iPad and the air display 2 can communicate with each other without an internet connection by creating an AD-HOC network, which is a wireless network created by my computer. And this signal allows the iPad to communicate wirelessly with the mac -without an internet connect.

Avatron also said that ad hoc networks are "notoriously" unstable on windows.

How will all this affect vArranger if I use the iPad as a monitor to the win side of the mac.

By the way, Any mac under 10.7 won't work with air display 2. My Mac was 10.6.8, but Apple was kind enough to offer a free upgrade from Snow Leopard 10.6.8 to Maverick 10.9.

Thanks,

John   

Hello,

Thank you for the inquiry regarding Air Display. Air Display 2 requires 10.7 or higher, so you'd only be able to use it on the Windows 7 partition of your Mac. As for your other questions, it does require a wifi network. Both your computer and iPad must be on the same subnet of a local wifi network in order to use Air Display.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

---
Elliot
Customer Support
Avatron Software, Inc.

Hello,

An ad-hoc network is a wireless network created by your computer. It uses the wireless card in the computer to broadcast a wireless network that your iOS device can join. So, you'd need to do that in order to use Air Display some place where you didn't have an internet connection. Air Display still requires a wireless network, but you don't necessarily need an internet connection. To warn you though, ad-hoc networks on Windows are notoriously unstable.

Some wireless networks can have different subnets. Meaning different sub-networks of the main network connection. Having multiple subnets is usually just something done at large company networks.

---
Elliot
Customer Support
Avatron Software, Inc.

Dan

jbg31792

Dan I've installed the air display to the Mac software. Ran the air display on the ipad. Then ran air display on the Mac. Then clicked on connect and had mirror image of of the Mac desktop on the ipad. My wireless remote mouse could move between the two screens and could control both the ipad and the Mac.

But, am having issues doing the same thing with the windows side. When I click on connect, I get the error message "could not connect. Air display could not communicate with the display device.

I tried clicking on "other" and was prompted for the address that was on the screen of the ipad. When I typed in the address on the Mac and clicked enter, the windows screen froze. The ipad screen had an animated hand drawing boxes, and I could hear audio from Fox News. I'm still experimenting with windows.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks,

John

Dan

The iPad can access internet now?
Can you restart your router?

jbg31792

Yes, the iPad and the mac both share the same wireless internet connection. But when I'm playing live, I won't always have an internet connection like I have here at my home. And Elliott from Avatron warned me about the unstable condition of air display with windows using the ad-hoc network when there is no internet connection. So I'm leery of using the air display app with windows 7 with the ad-hoc network.

I have tried another app :
Splashtop Extended Wireless Display 2 Free

It works very well to use my iPad or Android tablet as a second monitor for my windows laptop, and it can be used as a touch screen too !
The scores are well displayed on the iPad when I load my songs.

One big problem : We need to install a program on the PC called "streamer", but on my laptop it take almost 100% of CPU !
I have read that here is a trick to lower the refresh rate of the screen in the windows registry..

Does your splashtop extended wireless display app allow you to use your iPad as a monitor when there is no internet connection?

Thanks,

John

Dan

jbg31792

On the iPad, Splashtop free is prompting me for "enter security code you may later save it under computer settings."

what security code are they asking for?

John

Dan

Put what you want as password

On the PC software, you need to set the same password.

or do it on the PC , and put the same on the iPad. not remember the way.

jbg31792

Dan, are you using a router when you're playing live but there's no internet, to connect your surface pro, ipad and Splashtop? If so, which router are you taking with you to a gig?

I'm still trying to CONNECT with Air Display on windows, (since I've already purchased the app), but keep getting the error message "could not connect - Air Display could not communicate with the display device." On the Mac side, I have no problem CONNECTING with Air Display. The cursor works on both the Mac and the iPad, and I can drag and drop back and forth from the mac to the iPad.

Splashtop Extended Display 2 Free keeps prompting me to buy the full version because the 5 minute time limit keeps expiring before I can try it out.

I'll get back to Splashtop after Air Display is working on the Windows side.

Thanks,

John

Dan

Ok. To be able to communicate together, the computer and the iPad need to be in the same network.

There is 2 ways to connect.

- Using a router who will connect many computers together
- Using ad-hoc to directly connect 2 devices without need of a router

So you need first to create the ad-hoc connection between the computer and iPad.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/set-computer-to-computer-adhoc-network#1TC=windows-7

jbg31792

Dan, I was able to connect in Win7 with my MacBook Pro and Ipad with Air Display2 using my router.

Elliot from Air Display suggested that something like a firewall might be blocking the signal. It turned out that Windows 7 and Norton anti virus both had firewalls up. We disabled the Windows 7 and kept the Norton. But I had to connect using the IP address under OTHER. At this point I only have a mirror image. Maybe if I blocked the Norton I could connect with CONNECT instead of OTHER.

Eventually I want to compare the Air Display with the Splashtop, and find out which one would give the best results between the ipad and the MacBook.

Thanks,

John

Patrick

Hello,

I'm new to vArranger. I'm trying to use my iPad 2 as a touchscreen with vArranger running on Windows 7. I've tried both Duet Display and Splashtop XDisplay Wired with no success. The touchscreen works fine with Windows 7 except when I launch vArranger, the screen stops responding to touch. When I exit vArranger, the touch response is restored.

Does anybody has an idea what might have caused this issue? I'm experiencing this problem with vArranger only, and not with other Windows 7 apps.

Patrick

Dan

I will be back on Sunday, and will do some search about it.
I know that some users has successfully connected Splashtop.
If someone has an idea....

Patrick

Thanks Dan!

I have tried Splashtop on both my Macbook (bootcamp) and Sony VAIO. On both, I'm running Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit. Splashtop only works for me after an installation, but after logging out or restarting the computer, it would stop working. I've also confirmed the behavior on both on my iPad and iPhone.

The only way Splashtop I got it to work is running Windows in VirtualBox, but the MIDI and audio latencies are too high.

Patrick

Dan

Patrick

Teamviewer works even after multiple reboots. It's quite impressive. I can do everything remotely from my iPad including rebooting. The touch response is a little lagging over the Internet. It's not reliable for changing style variations, but I guess I could use a separate MIDI controller for that. It's unfortunate that the free version of Teamviewer doesn't allow LAN or wired connections, and the corporate license is prohibitively expensive. Nevertheless, it's a BIG improvement over Splashtop. Thanks for the recommendation, Dan!

May I ask if you could try to reproduce the problem that I have experienced with the free version of Splashtop, if you have some time?
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/splashtop-wired-xdisplay-extend/id1029827032?mt=8.

Another remote control app that I'm going to try is VNC Viewer.

Patrick

Dan

It seems there is a lot of 'Second Screen' application too for iPad

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/duet-display/id935754064?mt=8

Most of them has free demo version that you can try to see if it is ok with your computer

It seems you can get a refund of your previously bought apps if they does not work
http://www.imore.com/how-to-get-refund-itunes-app-store

I will install windows 7 next week, as they are all on windows 10 now...

Patrick

Yes, I have tried several of the second screen iOS apps, but each has its quirk:

- Duet Display - works fine except for vArranger: doesn't response to touch in Win7
- Microsoft Remote Desktop - need to drag and position the pointer to a button first before touching the button
- iRemoteDesktop - screen partially obscured by the menu bar

I'm going to install Win10 to see if Splashtop or Duet Display work.